President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration may file a fresh action against Yoruba secessionist agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, otherwise called Sunday Igboho.

The Minister of Justice and Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, said this in New York while speaking on the judgment of Oyo State High Court which awarded N20 billion in damages to Sunday Igboho.

READ ALSO: FG Speaks On Those UAE Identified As Boko Haram’s Sponsors

Report stated earlier that Oyo State High Court had declared the raid conducted by the Department of State Service (DSS) on the residence of Sunday Igboho in Ibadan as illegal.

The court had ordered DSS to pay N20 billion to Sunday Igboho as damages.

The court had also dismissed an application filed by the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, challenging its jurisdiction to hear allegations against Nigerian government agencies.

The judge, Ladiran Akintola, had awarded the money as “an exemplary and aggravated damages” against the AGF and the Department of State Services, over the invasion of Igboho’s home in Ibadan on July 1.

Reacting to the judgment of Oyo State High Court which awarded N20 billion in damages in Sunday Igboho’s favour, Malami said the federal government had the right to appeal the judgement or file a fresh charge. Malami also said that the position of the federal government on the judgment was about “law and jurisdiction”.

According to him, “As far as this matter is concerned, which court is it that has the jurisdiction to determine it? And as you rightly know, obedient to court orders and court judgments.

“But then you have to understand within the context of such obedience that there are associated rights and interests that are vested in the Federal Government.

SEE ALSO: JUST IN: Son Of Popular Nigerian Politician Bags Jail Term

Inclusive of rights of appealing against a judgment, inclusive of the right to file an application for setting aside the purported judgment and order.

“And indeed, inclusive of the possibility of filling a fresh action if indeed the jurisdiction of the court that was alleged to have indeed handed that judgment is an issue.

“So, we are doing the needful in terms of looking at the law as it exists and then working within the context of the law in ensuring that justice is done as far as the contending issues between the parties are concerned.”

Recall that Igboho’s counsel, Yomi Aliyu, SAN, had filed an N500 billion fundamental human rights enforcement suit against the AGF, SSS and the Director of the SSS in Oyo State over the invasion of his home in Ibadan on July 1.

Aliyu claimed that his client’s house and cars were damaged, while two occupants of the house were killed by SSS operatives during the incident.

However, counsel to AGF, Abdullah Abubakar, had argued that there was no evidence before the court that the blood seen in the video clip tendered by Alliyu belonged to a human being.

Abubakar also said there was nothing in the video clip that showed that the house that was invaded belonged to Igboho or linked the AGF with the invasion.

Facebook Comments
Advertisements