Headline
BREAKING: FG Speaks On Suspending NIN Registration

FG has spoken on suspending NIN registration till further notice.
OnyxNews Nigeria reports that the Federal Government led by President Muhammadu Buhari through the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr Isa Pantami, has said the National Identification Number enrollment process will be reviewed should the Nigerian Government impose a fresh lockdown amid the second wave of the coronavirus pandemic.
READ ALSO: Globalcom Issues More Options To Subscribers For NIN Update
Recall that the Federal Government had said telecom subscribers with NIN have January 19 as deadline to link their NIN with their SIM cards while subscribers without NIN have until February 9 to do so.
The total number of mobile network connections was 207.58 million as of October last year, but currently, only 43 million Nigerians have NIN, thus 164 million telephone subscribers are at the risk of being blocked.
What Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr Isa Pantami said should be done
According to him, the ministry will meet with the National Identity Management Commission, and telecommunication operators once the government announces a fresh lockdown and will review the NIN linkage to SIM cards exercise.
Pantami made this known on Friday night while featuring on a programme on Channels Television, “Politics Today.”
Pantami said, “If a second lockdown is enforced, then, the ministerial taskforce including NIMC and all mobile network operators will sit immediately and review. The task force meets usually within one week.
“So, when there is a second lockdown, we are citizens, we must respect the Federal Government’s directives. When there is any announcement, we will come back to the drawing board immediately and review the whole thing. But now, it has not been announced and these (Covid-19) guidelines are to be respected.”
The minister also said the ministry and NIMC are working on transforming the NIN enrollment process and the onward linkage to SIM cards as required by the Nigerian Communications Commission.
-
Entertainment1 week ago
If You Attach 20 Years Jail Sentence With No Option For Fine, People Will Refrain from Piracy – Jide Kosoko
-
Headline1 week ago
Atiku Abubakar Reveals Why He Did Not Choose Wike as Running Mate in 2023 Election
-
Headline1 week ago
NIMC to Crack Down on Unauthorized NIN Card Production
-
Brands and Marketing1 week ago
Naira Rises To N1,575/$ In Parallel Market
-
Headline1 week ago
2026 WCQ: South Africa Risk Potential Points Deduction For Fielding Ineligible Player
-
Entertainment6 days ago
Beauty Tukura Vows to Keep Love Life Private After Relationship With Neo
-
Entertainment1 week ago
EFCC Under Fire as VDM Alleges Bribery Involving DJ Tunez and Terry Apala
-
Headline5 days ago
BREAKING: Eid-el-Fitr Confirmed As Shawwal Moon Sighted
-
Entertainment1 week ago
Reekado Banks Hints at a ‘Clueless or Demonic’ Figure Holding Back Emerging Talents in the Entertainment Industry
-
Headline1 week ago
Plateau State Secures 6,300 Tons of Fertilizer for 2025 Farmers