The National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) has suspended its nationwide strike.

The doctors went on strike on August 1 to protest against inadequate allowances, irregular payment of salaries, among others.

In a ruling on August 23, Justice John Targema, directed all parties in the suit to suspend all forms of hostilities and return to the status quo pending the hearing and determination of the motion on notice.

Other efforts by different stakeholders, including President Muhammadu Buhari and the House of Representatives to ensure the resident doctors shelve the strike did not yield the desired result.

The National Industrial Court, in a ruling on a suit filed by the federal government, had asked the resident doctors to return to work.

However, the striking doctors faulted the court’s ruling, vowing to appeal the order.

On Monday, Godiya Ishaya, NARD president, said the association has officially called off the strike, Cable reports.

He said the decision to call off the strike was made in an emergency meeting with the association’s national executive council.
He added that the doctors will resume on Wednesday.

READ: BREAKING: President Buhari Leaves Nigeria

We’ve officially suspended the strike to resume at 8:00 am on Wednesday. We made the decision in the wee hours of today. We held an emergency meeting from 5:30 pm on Sunday to the morning hours of today, and the NEC decided that having reviewed the progress made so far, the strike should be suspended,” he said.

Facebook Comments
Advertisements